Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Election Reading Project

Daughter Kristina and friend Nick DiGiovanni hooked me into GoodReads a while back, and I've lately been catching up with my postings. I'm in general a very stumble-along kind of reader...no agenda or schedule. I have a huge stack of unread books, and usual case is that when I finish one I grab whatever from the stack moves me at that moment.

For the upcoming election, though, I set out a three-book process. I'm halfway through.

1. I wanted to be inspired, presidentially, and at the same time fill in some large blanks about a president I know woefully little about. So I went with the big book of Lincoln.

2. I wanted a reminder (as if I need one; Christ) of how important my vote is, and how much damage one man can do. So I went with "Angler," the new book about Cheney. I'm halfway through that now.

3. To cap it, I'll turn to my man's own words, which I have not yet read. Not sure which I'll read, "Dreams of my Father" or "Audacity of Hope." Probably the first one.

(And just in case you're wondering...yes, I have decided what I'm reading on the heels of this presidential swim. The new one by Marilynne Robinson, "Home.")