Friday, December 14, 2007

not the cover of In Hoboken

This down below is not the cover of In Hoboken. But it was an early idea, and I still think pretty cool.

The real cover is even cooler. I'll have a copy to share sometime soon, I think. First time I've ever been really happy with a book cover on the first try. Melville House is known for their gorgeous and creative book covers. I wouldn't be lying if I said that was one of the reasons I went with them. Is that shallow? Nah. Covers are important. And, I think, even more important now that we don't have LP covers anymore. Book covers are the last bastion of physical coolness and excitement wrapping commercially available art. Much as I love being able to have 5 gazillion songs on the ipod, I weep for the LP cover. Hell, even the CD cover was something...and that's essentially sunk now too.